[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Brett IPA

Brett IPA

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Brett IPA

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 08:43

Hi all.

I'm brewing this afternoon, when I finish work with a friend.
I got 12kg of Maris Otter and some oats weighed out last night and got the water into the HLT which is on a timer so it should be up to temp when I get home. I put 82 liters in, then took 4 back out as I had forgotten about the water for the glucen rest.
We are aiming to get 60 liters and are going to split it into 3 different fvs, all of which are going to be treated differently. A small portion is going to be kept 'clean' but the rest is going to get a good few months aging, and then a reasonable dry hopping. I will put down what hops we are using when I find out!
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Brett IPA

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:32

Are you planning on adding the brett in secondary or primary fermentation with brett? If you're using brett as the sole yeast it shouldn't need months of ageing :thumb:
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 14:15

Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 19:19

The hops are topaz for bittering. And mosaic and amarillo for aroma.
The boil is on!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 19:20

Careful with those topaz, they're a blunt instrument to say the least!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:41

Here is the hlt/mash tun with its new hat
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:42

The gravity reading. Looks like 1.049 with temperature correction
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:44

Rolfster
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 21:46

They will punch through - they are around 50% cohumulone, good at lining your mouth with hop oil
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 23:14

It's all tucked up in the tubs with heaters keeping it at the right temp.
We got 66 liters.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 12, 2016 23:16

Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Jun 13, 2016 09:37

So the three way split was one has US 05, one has Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois and the other has Brettanomyces claussenii.
We used the yeast cake from my previous brew for the US05 and Steve grew the other 2 up, using some wort from my previous brew.
We are thinking adoing some of the other yeast as a secondary to the US05 but we are as yet undecided!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:41

Right. I realised I haven't given a recipe for this!
Mash was 11.5kg Maris otter. 1kg wheat malt, 650g oats.
Mashed at about 67 degrees for 2 hour 20 mins
60g of topaz went into the boiler as we drained the wort. We then boiled for an hour added 30g of both amarillo and mosaic and turned off the heat. Hop stand for 20 minutes before cooling comenced. It took just over an hour to chill to pitching temperature.
There is going to be some dry hopping but we are going to do some tasting before we decide what we're going to use for that!
They are all bubbling at different rates in my cellar which is always nice!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun Jun 26, 2016 23:01

We did a bit of dry hopping today.
The clean (and slightly boring) FV is about 1.014 and got 25g of both Amarillo and mosaic.
The brett B (1.015ish) got 50g of Amarillo.
The brett C (1.010ish) got 45g Mosaic.

Anyone got any experience of these yeasts? We are quite sure the clean yeast has finished as its US05 and was onto a fresh yeast cake.
I thought the other 2 would be lower, but have no actual reason for thinking that!
Are they going to keep going?
We mashed at 67ish.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 20:56

I just checked these again and they have all remained the same!
I guess they have finished! ?!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Jul 19, 2016 23:18

So I just bottled the last fv of this. It was the brett C and it was at 1.006. Tasted kind pineappley! First taste s of this were quite frankly revolting and now it's going to be very interesting beer!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 07:15

You can deduct 10% ibu if you use first wort hops

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer