[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_reimg.php on line 136: preg_match_all(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Kümmel

Kümmel

A designated driver would probably appreciate something made just for them

Kümmel

Postby Moley » Tue Apr 15, 2014 15:46

I have gradually been drinking my way through a variety of miniature bottles which I used to collect.

One that I had never tried before was Kümmel - and I liked it, so I googled a recipe.

If you like sweet liqueurs and aniseedy drinks, you might like it too.

3 cups Vodka
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Water
2 tablespoons crushed Caraway seed
1 tablespoon crushed Fennel seed
1.5 teaspoons ground Cumin.

Combine caraway, fennel, cumin and vodka in a jar, cover tightly and allow to steep for 2 weeks in a cool, dark place. Shake jar occasionally. When steeping period is complete, strain and filter the liquid. I pushed a plug of cotton wool quite firmly down a funnel and allowed it to slowly drip through that.

Combine sugar and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. I stood the saucepan in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes and stirred it occasionally.

Combine sugar syrup with the filtered vodka mixture. Pour into bottles and cap tightly. Let it age for at least 1 month before serving

Further searching told me that a Cup (liquid) is 250ml and that a Cup of white sugar is 225g., so that recipe would be 750ml vodka, 450g sugar and 250ml water.

Well the drink I tried was very sweet indeed but I thought that sounded like way too much sugar and water.

I halved the recipe and used 375ml vodka, 1 tbsp caraway, 1/2 tbsp fennel and 3/4 tsp cumin.
After 2 weeks I boiled 150g sugar in 75ml water, which seemed quite sufficient.

I've got a full scale batch ready for filtering now, so if there's any left I will try to remember to bring it along to TST.
Moley

Re: Kümmel

Postby tommidolcetto » Tue Apr 15, 2014 16:47

Only tried Kummel once and I did like it. It's a much nicer drink compared to the green or yellow herb flavoured liqueurs more commonly seen, not as sweet and a cleaner herb character.
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby Joe1002 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 17:17

I enjoy a Kummel, thanks for the recipe :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby Brewtrog » Tue Apr 15, 2014 22:08

Sounds similar to the pastis recipe I did, with a few obvious changes, sounds worth a go, cheers for the recipe.
Brewtrog
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Mon Jul 21, 2014 19:05

[Stupid question]
Does 150g of sugar dissolved in 75ml of water equal about 75ml of sugar solution? [/Stupid question]

Just thinking of containers.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Moley » Sat Nov 14, 2015 20:43

Moley

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sat Nov 14, 2015 23:26

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer